Skip to main content

Spring Update, a Possible Red Bay, and Banana Babies

I found a little tree about two years ago growing near the tall pines in the uncleared section of my back yard.  It didn't look like any other tree I had, so I transplanted it in the front of my house.  I need to know what it is.  It smells like bay.  It looks like bay.  I do think it is a Red Bay tree, and I'll be happy if it is, but I don't have the low-down on all the science-y aspects of tree identification.  The Red Bay is in the Lauraceae family, genus Persea, and species Borbonia. That's what I Googled- up anyway.  The Red Bay is in the same family as the avocado, and I love avocados, but I don't think I can grow some good ones 'round these parts.  If you've stumbled on this blog (or my personal-yet obviously public garden diary), then please feel free to school me on what type of tree this is (also, could I grow a fruit bearing avocado in zone 9?  I'd love to do that!






 I have this red bay or whatever it is in the front yard by the winged sumac, pear trees and beauty berries. Next to the tree is some random spiderwort (Tradescantia virginiana).   The spiderwort grows along the road in certain places here.  It sort of looks like overgrown grass, but it has really pretty purple flowers that are especially visible during the morning to early noon.







Banana

The little banana plant I had in the pot became this group of bananas.  I planted it by the little azaleas because I thought it might be easier for me to keep the plant (now plants) warm when we get some of those cold days.  The new leaves are pretty, huh?  The dead undergrowth isn't very attractive.  Plus, I tend to put whatever might compost around the plants, so you might see some random cabbage leaves or something scattered about.  Nice.  

Hibiscus Cutting, Elephant Ears and Banana Pup

I don't really have a back porch.  I just have this sort of sidewalk thingy that leads to my husband's office and the air conditioner.  I decided to plant some stuff back there.  The hibiscus is the cutting I did last year, and some neighbors gave us some elephant ears.  They can get pretty big so my hope is to have a mini tropical sort of corner out the back door.  I also planted a banana pup that grew with the other group of bananas I have planted by my azaleas.  It's still alive, so so far so good.  

On a side note, I inadvertently learned when watering these plants that if I let the hose run a little on my grass I have a free bait shop in my back yard.  Worm heaven.  Kinda ew. Kinda cool though.

Persimmon
This is the persimmon tree that keeps coming back bigger and better each year after a few accidental mowing incidents and the winter.  Will it get fruit?  I hope, but it might never get fruit.  I'll love it just the same.

My Son's Pumpkin
I'm not in the business of growing pumpkins.  A fun thing to do each year is to smash the rotting Jack-O-Lantern near the overgrown ditch.  This year we didn't make it that far, and my little son really liked the idea that seeds make plants, so he planted the pumpkin seeds right by the porch. I don't know much about pumpkins, but April blossoms don't seem quite right.  

The Some-Kind-of-Citrus-I-Think-is-Maybe-Grapefruit-Tree
This is the citrus tree that my little son and I planted and then I forgot we planted.  I think it's a grapefruit tree, but I'm not entirely sure.  I finally planted it out of the pot, and I had to trim the top a little, so it was much taller in the pot.

Florida Queen Peach and Mulberry Tree


Spring is exciting for some of these trees that like to do the exact opposite thing you and I do when it's cold:  get naked.  Yup, so they go bare-branched during the mild central Florida winter, enticing me to make little scratches on the bark to check their vitality all through the season.  I get all warm and fuzzy when I see the first leaves coming in!  I totally pruned the peach tree in a weird sort of way, then I think someone in my household may have ridden a kiddie ATV over the tree, but the peach tree is thriving!  The mulberry is just pretty.  I love mulberry leaves. 

Winged Sumac

So we like sumac-ade and we also like the tart berries of sumac as spice in stuff like barbecue sauce.  We planted some in our yard, but I get the feeling they are almost invasive.  The canna lillies gave me the same lesson in growing stuff that naturally grows all around here:  they grow better than I want them to grow!  In any case, I like them.  The kids broke some branches on one of the sumacs but it recovered nicely.  They are kind of tropical looking (even though they grow pretty far north of Florida too), and they are easy to keep alive for a plant enthusiast with a non-horticulturalist ability.





Gardenia 

I was kind of stoked to see this gardenia growing so well.  One of the things I learned was that they might appreciate a little soil acidity and some magnesium.  I took to the Internet when some of the leaves were yellowing at the tips and learned that a little pickle juice could be good for the acidity in the soil and that a little Epsom salt may help with the magnesium deficiency.  I tried it, and the plant is pretty healthy.  It appears to have some blossoms too.  When it blooms it is pretty and smells delicious!







Arbor Day Foundation Keiffer Pear


Finally, this is one of two pear trees I got from the Arbor Day Foundation.  It's got a little pear on it!  How cute?  I don't know anything about pears, really, but I'm giving it a go.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Happening in Spring to Summer Florida

I'm a terrible garden blogger, because I get all frazzled and don't do things on a regular basis, but this blog is the big ol' update on stuff that's happening and what I'm doing differently than I did before now. Pineapple Plant Here's a pineapple plant that I think I planted in a pot over a year ago.  I had two, but I was a bad plant mommy and left them both in the cold during the winter.  This one was closer to the house than the other one, and it did well.  The weeds in the pot are purslane.  They are actually edible and good for you too, so I tend not to weed them out unless the start crowding my intended plants out.  This plant is starting to get little spikes in the center, so I'm hoping, hoping, hoping its trying to grow a baby pineapple.     Wild Persimmon I live on a long dirt road, and part of it was paved up a ways.  Before the county started paving that part, they started clearing out the area across from me to make a

My Neighbor's Gift Bloomed!

I mentioned in a previous post that I had something growing under the fennel that my neighbor had given me before she passed on.  She had no clue what it was and asked me to tell her what it was when it grew.  It was some kind of bulb, and much to my surprise, today I saw it in full bloom! I kept losing this plant under the fennel.  I thought it had died after the winter.  I had such a hard time finding the slender leaf blade that originally grew from the bulb, that I thought it was gone.  A week ago or so, I noticed the blade a little further to the corner than I was usually looking, so imagine my surprise to see the big pretty purplish face! Thank you, Kelly, for your amazing gift. So, what is it? It's a Zephyranthes or rain lily!  They have a tendency to bloom in spring, usually after rain storms, so that's why they are called "rain lilies."  :)  It's so pretty.