Skip to main content

Cabbages and the Planting Wheel


According to the trusty planting wheel for zone 8b, cabbages should be set out in September through the beginning of October.  Well, we are in zone 9, so maybe I have a bit of some leeway, at least I hope, because today I just planted some cabbage seeds.  I raised a few beds and put some seeds in the ground.  I watered them, but I didn't add any topsoil or anything.  I just dug up the dirt a bit, then dug a trench beside them and added dirt on top to raise the beds.

A while back I got the bright idea to fill up the garden with pine needles I've collected from a portion of our yard that has not been cleared.  Oh, the things I find back yonder.  Anyway, I thought the pine needles might deter weeds in the garden plot and help save some of the soil.  I think they helped a little, because the dirt looked kind of rich, but I didn't test it.  I probably should start learning how to test soil for acidity and all of that.  I read somewhere that you can do a vinegar or baking soda test to check acidity.  I've never done that.  I just kind of wing it with varying results.

The wheel also says its the best time to plant trees and shrubs, so I'm hoping my peach and fig tree make it through the winter as I put them in the dirt yesterday.  I dug the holes as described on the insturctions, and I added a little root stimulator.  I took some dried grass clippins and spread them around the trees, leaving the bases of the trunks uncovered.  I hope I'm doing it right!  I think the peach tree is pretty, and I'd love to see it thrive.  The fig is too.  Figs seem to grow well here in Florida, so I'll be really disappointed if it doesn't thrive here, but where I planted it is near the old oak tree that died and had to be removed.

As I dug, I found some bits of oak root still in the ground.  I kept trying to change spots, but the root bits kept coming up.  I found a free-enough spot to dig my hole for the fig, so let's just hope!

I also have a blueberry bush that I have yet to put in the ground.  I just haven't decided where I want to put it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Happening in Spring to Summer Florida

I'm a terrible garden blogger, because I get all frazzled and don't do things on a regular basis, but this blog is the big ol' update on stuff that's happening and what I'm doing differently than I did before now. Pineapple Plant Here's a pineapple plant that I think I planted in a pot over a year ago.  I had two, but I was a bad plant mommy and left them both in the cold during the winter.  This one was closer to the house than the other one, and it did well.  The weeds in the pot are purslane.  They are actually edible and good for you too, so I tend not to weed them out unless the start crowding my intended plants out.  This plant is starting to get little spikes in the center, so I'm hoping, hoping, hoping its trying to grow a baby pineapple.     Wild Persimmon I live on a long dirt road, and part of it was paved up a ways.  Before the county started paving that part, they started clearing out the area across from me to make a

My Neighbor's Gift Bloomed!

I mentioned in a previous post that I had something growing under the fennel that my neighbor had given me before she passed on.  She had no clue what it was and asked me to tell her what it was when it grew.  It was some kind of bulb, and much to my surprise, today I saw it in full bloom! I kept losing this plant under the fennel.  I thought it had died after the winter.  I had such a hard time finding the slender leaf blade that originally grew from the bulb, that I thought it was gone.  A week ago or so, I noticed the blade a little further to the corner than I was usually looking, so imagine my surprise to see the big pretty purplish face! Thank you, Kelly, for your amazing gift. So, what is it? It's a Zephyranthes or rain lily!  They have a tendency to bloom in spring, usually after rain storms, so that's why they are called "rain lilies."  :)  It's so pretty.

2023 Spring Revival

We moved to the suburbs in a neighboring town in 2019. I drove past the old place, and wow! The road is paved, and all our trees and shrubs are gone. So, all the old blog posts are irrelevant. Starting again from scratch. Seems an appropriate endeavor for Spring.  I love Spring.  It's Spring again, and were in our new place.  I'm coming back to document my off-the-cuff attempt at greenery.   Vitex Chaste I'll start with a Palm Coast Arbor Day tree we got in 2021: A Vitex Chaste Put this one in the ground as a little stub about two years ago. Loquat I've been hoping to get a loquat in the ground forever, and I got one from Fast-Growing-Trees.com. My grandmother had a loquat in her yard in Palm Coast when I was a little pork chop, and we'd sit in her Florida room while she played Solitaire, and she'd suggest I go out front a pick some Japanese plums. I LOVED them.   :)   Chicago Hardy Fig Also got a little fig tree from Fast Growing Trees.  I dusted it with sulfur