Skip to main content

It's Starting to Feel a lot like Fall!

I bought a Florida Queen Peach tree two days ago from Lowe's.  I've heard that it's not a good idea to buy from bix box retailers, because you never know what kind of root stock the nursury used.  I've heard they might use bay laurel, which is interesting, because I transplanted a bay laurel near the area where our big oak tree died.

I probably should have learned my lesson about bix box trees, because I now have thorny, trifolate orange tree growing where I should have had a tangerine tree.  Last year I bought a tangerine from Walmart, and when the winter came, all but the rootstock died, leaving a kind of orange tree that yields very bitter fruit.  I probably could have dug it up and brought it back to Walmart, but I let it grow.  I hear one can still make juice with the fruit, and I think the trees are kind of pretty.  For what it's worth, the White House Garden has a similar orange tree growing, but the fruit is edible.

With that said, I'm a little worried about cold weather breaking me on my new purchases.  I bought a fig, peach tree and a bluberry bush.  Should I plant them?  I have had very little luck with store-bought flora so far, so I'm wishing a magical Earth fairy would come to my house to be my spiritual plant guide.

I really want some long-term food growing outside of my space for garden veggies.  I'd like to have some trees that yield some fruit that we could nibble on between garden yields.  Okay, that's not my true intention.  My true intention is creating a sort of Garden of Eden right in my yard that wields lucious fruits and flowers in such abundance that my family and neighbors can join us in indulging in the offspring of our planet Earth.  Maybe I shouldn't have written that out loud, but I can't be the only one with this fantasy.

I have sort of cultivated some plants that grow wild out this way.  I have some Beautyberries, Persimmon, and Sumac growing on our lot.  Hey, if they grow out this way naturally, then maybe I don't have to try to figrue out pests and fertilizers.  The soil must be right for them if they like it out here!

These Beautyberries were growing on the property before it was even cleared for our house.  They look so pretty when they are in bloom and when the berries form.  Right now, the plant is losing the berries, but they were very striking to see when the berries were new.  The berries are edible, but they don't taste much like anything.  I have made a jelly with them, though, and it tastes very refreshing.  It's like a sweet rose taste.  All you do is boil the the berries, strain the liquid until its pink, add pectin and sugar, then let it set.  There's a good view of it and how to make it at this blog.

The flora across the dirt road from us has been mowed down to allow for construction on a paved road some time in the near future.  Some of the plants started creeping up, and we decided to save some of them and put them in our own yard.  Sumac makes a lovely tart drink at the end of summer.  All you do is soak the berries in cold water, sort of crushing them with your hands, and let them sit for about five to ten minutes.  Then you strain the juice with a cheese cloth or something and add sweetener.

The berries on the Sumac grow in little clusters that look kind of like grape clusters with tiny little pinkish-red berries.  You can't really eat the berries, but if you touch them and tast your fingers, you'll see how lemony-tart they are.

Ground sumac is sometimes used as a spice.  We used it in a wing sauce, and it was pretty good.  You can let the sumac berries dry, the crush them.  A coffee grinder works well.



Here is a little persimmon tree that I saved from the wrath of development across the street from us.  I got it at the same time we got the two sumac bush/tree things.  So far, it has survivied, and I'm looking forward to seeing it grow.  There are some wild ones growing nearby, and one had a lot of fruit on in, but when I finally checked back in on that one, all the fruit was gone.  I always thought of persimmons as having fruit that lasts through the winter, but maybe animals get it first?  Maybe our persimmons just grow early?  I should check into it.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Happening in Spring to Summer Florida

I'm a terrible garden blogger, because I get all frazzled and don't do things on a regular basis, but this blog is the big ol' update on stuff that's happening and what I'm doing differently than I did before now. Pineapple Plant Here's a pineapple plant that I think I planted in a pot over a year ago.  I had two, but I was a bad plant mommy and left them both in the cold during the winter.  This one was closer to the house than the other one, and it did well.  The weeds in the pot are purslane.  They are actually edible and good for you too, so I tend not to weed them out unless the start crowding my intended plants out.  This plant is starting to get little spikes in the center, so I'm hoping, hoping, hoping its trying to grow a baby pineapple.     Wild Persimmon I live on a long dirt road, and part of it was paved up a ways.  Before the county started paving that part, they started clearing out the area across from me to make a

My Neighbor's Gift Bloomed!

I mentioned in a previous post that I had something growing under the fennel that my neighbor had given me before she passed on.  She had no clue what it was and asked me to tell her what it was when it grew.  It was some kind of bulb, and much to my surprise, today I saw it in full bloom! I kept losing this plant under the fennel.  I thought it had died after the winter.  I had such a hard time finding the slender leaf blade that originally grew from the bulb, that I thought it was gone.  A week ago or so, I noticed the blade a little further to the corner than I was usually looking, so imagine my surprise to see the big pretty purplish face! Thank you, Kelly, for your amazing gift. So, what is it? It's a Zephyranthes or rain lily!  They have a tendency to bloom in spring, usually after rain storms, so that's why they are called "rain lilies."  :)  It's so pretty.

2023 Spring Revival

We moved to the suburbs in a neighboring town in 2019. I drove past the old place, and wow! The road is paved, and all our trees and shrubs are gone. So, all the old blog posts are irrelevant. Starting again from scratch. Seems an appropriate endeavor for Spring.  I love Spring.  It's Spring again, and were in our new place.  I'm coming back to document my off-the-cuff attempt at greenery.   Vitex Chaste I'll start with a Palm Coast Arbor Day tree we got in 2021: A Vitex Chaste Put this one in the ground as a little stub about two years ago. Loquat I've been hoping to get a loquat in the ground forever, and I got one from Fast-Growing-Trees.com. My grandmother had a loquat in her yard in Palm Coast when I was a little pork chop, and we'd sit in her Florida room while she played Solitaire, and she'd suggest I go out front a pick some Japanese plums. I LOVED them.   :)   Chicago Hardy Fig Also got a little fig tree from Fast Growing Trees.  I dusted it with sulfur