Skip to main content

Spring 2018

We've had two hurricanes, Irma and Matthew since I last posted.  Some of the trees have gotten bigger, impressively so, but they may be at a slight angle due to the unforgiving force of heat transportation.  As of right now, I am at home.  I'm not working today.  I have lost my voice with some sort of viral madness, but I am meandering around my yard trying to soak some vitamin Florida into my bones and realize I'll be getting the itch to mingle with leaves and sun and soil all too soon.  I need a shovel, stat!


 Where the Red Bay Grows


Look at this tree!  This tree was a little shrub just two years ago.  When we first moved into the house, we had a water oak that was growing in this spot but it resigned its life to wood burrowing insects, and we had to have it removed.  This red bay will be assuming the new floral leadership role in our front yard.  It's doing well.













Banana Plants


I don't even know which ones are the originals or if the original still exists.  Each year these things get super ugly after winter.  They're there doing their thing, though, which apparently does not include producing any sort of fruit.

The front of my house was once nicely landscaped with azaleas and mulch.  I throw scraps out here by the bananas.  I've had citrus, potatoes, and who knows what else trying to compete for peat beneath the 'nanners.
This banana plant is a refugee from Hurricane Irma.  It was a tall pup that was knocked down during the storm.  I found her, still pulsing with life, strewn on her side, severed from her family.  So I grabbed her and stuck her in the Earth by the side of the house. She's frozen up this past winter, browned up her leaves and seems to be yawning with life in the spring time sun


















 Some Sort of Citrus


Alright.  This one looks a little yellow.  I'll find some recovery soon, but look how big it is?  My son and I squished a bazillion different citrus seeds into little tiny flower pots for the fun of it when he was a little tater tot.  This tree is getting up there.  If you look at older posts, you'll see it in a reddish pot.

I also have a trifolate citrus out in the woods doing splendidly.  That one was a tree I bought from Home Depot which died and left the live grafting (thorny, bitter fruit producing tree).  So, it continued to grow, but I kinda put it into the wilderness corner of seclusion on my lot.  I have a small jungle in my front yard.  It stays, that jungle does.  No clearing. (Just in case my husband reads this).






Arbor Day Pear


Got two pear trees, and guess what?  They live!  Hallelujah, they. still. live. 

Listen, I love the green, the leafy green.  I love things that pop out of the Earth (well, not water moccasins.  or spiders. or creepy clowns), but I am not a green thumb.  Nope.  I just like when stuff grows.  I have to ask nature and God to take over, really, when I put something in the ground, so it's a fantastic joy to see a thing still growing. 










 Spiderwort


One of the tricks I've learned to growing things is to grow what already grows.  I found these growing along the bus stop where my kids got on and off the bus.  I sneakily snagged a few out of the road mounds (dirt roads here), plopped them in my yard and they've taken space here for years now.














 Behind the Sumac


We planted winged sumac and the hurricane distorted them.  Sumac make great seasoning berries which are very tart.  They're more like seeds you can roast and grind.  You can soak the seeds in water to make a sort of lemony drink, too.  But this picture isn't about the sumac.  This picture is about the gardenia bush behind it.

Looka that!  Big, green lush plant.  You know, I've put pickle juice out there?  I didn't know if I was helping or hurting, but the leaves were yellowing a certain kind of way and I read a thing on the Internet and tried it.  So there ya go.  But look at what's coming soon!!

It's like waiting for Christmas morning!  Yeah.  Gardenia blossoms.  I have gardenia body lotion, perfumes and body wash.  Nothing compares to the real deal.  When these sweet white blossoms open up, it will be an olfactory fantasy.

There are little blossoms all over this plant.  I cannot wait for them to open up!  There should be a holiday.  Gardenia day.
















 All Around the Mulberry Tree


This tree is another creature that gets unsightly during the winter, but look how it takes off in spring?  I love the leaves on these trees.  Mulberry trees are beautiful trees with soft large leaves.  This is another one of my local rounder-uppers.  I don't remember where I found this, but I found it somewhere as a leaf-child and smuggled it to my own yard.  It's mine now!














Aloe Me to Introduce Myself


I have a lot of aloe.  I don't know if there's anything special to say about that other than I could probably make a side income selling it if I wanted to.  I do want to, actually, but aloe aren't easy to work with.  I have some in the side pockets of my yard that have tipped over in pots and rooted themselves halfway in the ground.  Aloe have spikey things on them, just so you are aware.  So they stay there.  What aloe wants, aloe gets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Happening in Spring to Summer Florida

I'm a terrible garden blogger, because I get all frazzled and don't do things on a regular basis, but this blog is the big ol' update on stuff that's happening and what I'm doing differently than I did before now. Pineapple Plant Here's a pineapple plant that I think I planted in a pot over a year ago.  I had two, but I was a bad plant mommy and left them both in the cold during the winter.  This one was closer to the house than the other one, and it did well.  The weeds in the pot are purslane.  They are actually edible and good for you too, so I tend not to weed them out unless the start crowding my intended plants out.  This plant is starting to get little spikes in the center, so I'm hoping, hoping, hoping its trying to grow a baby pineapple.     Wild Persimmon I live on a long dirt road, and part of it was paved up a ways.  Before the county started paving that part, they started clearing out the area across from me to make a

My Neighbor's Gift Bloomed!

I mentioned in a previous post that I had something growing under the fennel that my neighbor had given me before she passed on.  She had no clue what it was and asked me to tell her what it was when it grew.  It was some kind of bulb, and much to my surprise, today I saw it in full bloom! I kept losing this plant under the fennel.  I thought it had died after the winter.  I had such a hard time finding the slender leaf blade that originally grew from the bulb, that I thought it was gone.  A week ago or so, I noticed the blade a little further to the corner than I was usually looking, so imagine my surprise to see the big pretty purplish face! Thank you, Kelly, for your amazing gift. So, what is it? It's a Zephyranthes or rain lily!  They have a tendency to bloom in spring, usually after rain storms, so that's why they are called "rain lilies."  :)  It's so pretty.

Spring Update, a Possible Red Bay, and Banana Babies

I found a little tree about two years ago growing near the tall pines in the uncleared section of my back yard.  It didn't look like any other tree I had, so I transplanted it in the front of my house.  I need to know what it is.  It smells like bay.  It looks like bay.  I do think it is a Red Bay tree, and I'll be happy if it is, but I don't have the low-down on all the science-y aspects of tree identification.  The Red Bay is in the Lauraceae family, genus Persea, and species Borbonia. That's what I Googled- up anyway.  The Red Bay is in the same family as the avocado, and I love avocados, but I don't think I can grow some good ones 'round these parts.  If you've stumbled on this blog (or my personal-yet obviously public garden diary), then please feel free to school me on what type of tree this is (also, could I grow a fruit bearing avocado in zone 9?  I'd love to do that!  I have this red bay or whatever it is in the front yard by the winged