Skip to main content

Freezing Bananas

Right now it is supposedly about 65 degrees Fahrenheit where I live.  Tonight we are expecting the temperature to get as low as 26 degrees Fahrenheit.  So, I wrapped the stalk of the banana plant in plastic bags.  The plant had one very healthy pup, so I wrapped that up pretty well too, because I'm thinking that that's the one that's supposed to eventually grow fruit.

I took in my three pineapple plants and my mother-in-law's ponytail palm.  Last year I almost killed the ponytail palm, because I left it on the front porch when it froze outside.  I didn't even know what the plant was, so when I looked up a description, I was kind of shocked to see that it is a very tropical plant that has very little tolerance for freezes.  I suppose if it gets big one day, I'll have to hand it off to someone who lives in a warmer area.  I think they grow well in southern Florida, so if it gets big enough to warrant an earthly planting, I will see about finding a home for it down yonder.  From what I've read on how long they take to grow, I'll probably have to pass on the duty of transplanting it to one of my children.  

One of my little sticks I got from the Arbor Day Foundation started leafing out, and that kind of surprised me.  I have no idea what kind of tree or bush it is.  I can't remember what all I had, but the leaves are a sort of burgundy color.  I wasn't even sure the sticks were alive, but I was watering them.

I have this citrus tree growing in a pot.  For now, I put it really close to the house on my front porch, but I will probably want to take it inside tonight.  It's something that grew unexpectedly from when my four year old was about two years old.  We stuck a hodgepodge of lemon, orange and grapefruit seeds into various pots and I forgot about them.  Nothing seemed to grow, then months later, I noticed a little citrus tree growing in a pot.  It's really healthy now, but I have no idea what kind of citrus it is, and I doubt that it will grow "true to seed," but I don't even know what kind of see it was!

I bought a lemon tree from Home Depot some time back, but I kind of don't count it.  It has one leaf on it and hasn't grown at all.  I should try to revive it somehow.

Wish me luck on stuff not freezing this week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Happening in Spring to Summer Florida

I'm a terrible garden blogger, because I get all frazzled and don't do things on a regular basis, but this blog is the big ol' update on stuff that's happening and what I'm doing differently than I did before now. Pineapple Plant Here's a pineapple plant that I think I planted in a pot over a year ago.  I had two, but I was a bad plant mommy and left them both in the cold during the winter.  This one was closer to the house than the other one, and it did well.  The weeds in the pot are purslane.  They are actually edible and good for you too, so I tend not to weed them out unless the start crowding my intended plants out.  This plant is starting to get little spikes in the center, so I'm hoping, hoping, hoping its trying to grow a baby pineapple.     Wild Persimmon I live on a long dirt road, and part of it was paved up a ways.  Before the county started paving that part, they started clearing out the area across from me to make a

My Neighbor's Gift Bloomed!

I mentioned in a previous post that I had something growing under the fennel that my neighbor had given me before she passed on.  She had no clue what it was and asked me to tell her what it was when it grew.  It was some kind of bulb, and much to my surprise, today I saw it in full bloom! I kept losing this plant under the fennel.  I thought it had died after the winter.  I had such a hard time finding the slender leaf blade that originally grew from the bulb, that I thought it was gone.  A week ago or so, I noticed the blade a little further to the corner than I was usually looking, so imagine my surprise to see the big pretty purplish face! Thank you, Kelly, for your amazing gift. So, what is it? It's a Zephyranthes or rain lily!  They have a tendency to bloom in spring, usually after rain storms, so that's why they are called "rain lilies."  :)  It's so pretty.

Spring Update, a Possible Red Bay, and Banana Babies

I found a little tree about two years ago growing near the tall pines in the uncleared section of my back yard.  It didn't look like any other tree I had, so I transplanted it in the front of my house.  I need to know what it is.  It smells like bay.  It looks like bay.  I do think it is a Red Bay tree, and I'll be happy if it is, but I don't have the low-down on all the science-y aspects of tree identification.  The Red Bay is in the Lauraceae family, genus Persea, and species Borbonia. That's what I Googled- up anyway.  The Red Bay is in the same family as the avocado, and I love avocados, but I don't think I can grow some good ones 'round these parts.  If you've stumbled on this blog (or my personal-yet obviously public garden diary), then please feel free to school me on what type of tree this is (also, could I grow a fruit bearing avocado in zone 9?  I'd love to do that!  I have this red bay or whatever it is in the front yard by the winged